July - 23 - 2011

Well, the title is misleading. It isn’t actually dead (or the former ain’t alive either, technically :P)

But it’s quite funny how the widgets show my CPU and RAM usage:

Well, on a technical end, I am fine with the RAM usage, it’s not even 50%. But the CPU spikes isn’t what makes me very comfortable. ‘top’ says that’s it’s Amarok that causes them. Amarok in general uses resources quite efficiently. But the collection scanner is what that causes this spike. Is it the fact that my collection is on a NTFS drive? Should I be worried about that?

12 Responses to “My CPU is alive, my RAM is dead!”

1. Alex says:

Make sure you’re not running the userspace FUSE NTFS driver. You likely are. And that could be the cause of the spikes.

Perhaps I am:

root::console() ~ # sudo /sbin/modprobe fuse
    root::console() ~ # dmesg | grep fuse
    [ 0.831892] fuse init (API version 7.16)

My fstab reads as:
    /dev/sda3 /media/Storage ntfs-3g defaults 0 0

Now how do I ask it not to use fuse?

3. IAnjo says:

On the other hand, you do have to use the fuse ntfs driver if you want read-write support to your ntfs partition.

If you want to use the kernel driver I think you only have to replace the “ntfs-3g” with “ntfs” on your fstab.

4. Artem S. Tashkinov says:

If you want to write to that partition and leave it in the NTFS format there’s just no alternative to ntfs-3g.

The in kernel NTFS driver only works in read-only mode.

Meanwhile I highly suggest giving Juk media player a try if you only listen to your music collection. It’s neat, tidy, fast and super efficient. Perhaps in KDE4 it supports more formats than in KDE3 (in KDE3 it only supports a handful of formats like MP3/OGG/FLAC/WAV – you cannot play AAC/MP4/WV/APE/etc files).

5. Afiefh says:

NTFS-3G is a FUSE filesystem. If memory serves you have to replace ntfs-3g with ntfs.

I don’t have an NTFS partition to try it here though.

6. Shaun Reich says:

I believe you can replace ntfs-3g with ntfs. I think that uses the built-in kernel ntfs support. ntfs-3g uses the FUSE driver and I don’t think it’s supported.

7. Antti says:

My Amarok does the same these days. It’s constantly scanning (with high CPU spikes) even though there are no changes in the music library directories — and that’s with NFS shares, so the I/O is definitely not causing this. I’m sure there’s already some bug report about this.

8. Igor says:

Wow! On my desktop, only 1 GB of memory, and before me it is enough, but if the system consumes more I think this is not correct.

9. D3X says:

NTFS-3g is not a FUSE driver, so that’s not the problem.

10. ömer fadıl usta says:

if you decide not to use fuse which means you say bye bye to write support for ntfs 🙂

Because Ntfs-3g uses only fuse and if you decide to use
    kernel ntfs driver ,which doesn’t need fuse, your fstab must contain “ntfs” not “ntfs-3g”.

11. Anonym says:

Well, at least that CPU with a potential of a brain the size of the planet gets something to do, however useless it may be. I wouldn’t worry, we waste a lot of CPU anyway.