November - 6 - 2009

I finally got rid of the last theme I had and installed something that, as per my conventions, looks quite professional. This is a modified version of the CreativePress wordpress theme, which offers a range of nice eyecandy effects using jQuery. Setting up the theme was quite a tedious job — removing my feeds from the planets (sounds ironic), doing the whole theme changes, and software upgrade and all that without access to db (why? well, our college university filter blocks it under category “hacking sites”….).

Anyway, of all the features, I can brag about:

1. The preview slider: I can set the slider to take up posts from a fixed category, “featured posts” in my case. Once I attach a “custom field” called ‘preview’, the slider picks up the image and scales it accordingly to use it as a thumbnail.
  2. A nice homepage: It gives me a nice homepage. Hence now, I have completely removed the “blog” subdomain from my server and I am left with only one wordpress install in contrast to the two independent installs on different domains.
  3. WordPress 2.8.5: Just upgraded from 2.7 to 2.8.5, and I hope that things get a bit more stable now :p Apparently 2.8.5 has some much needed security fixes, which IMHO was worth the pain incurred from upgrading.

Honestly, I did have a bunch of points in my mind, but I can’t remember what they were 😐

Anyway, I’m just happy that this went well. If you decide to give the theme a shot, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it as much as I am. πŸ™‚

5 Responses to “New website theme”

1. Nevil says:

I really like the sliding thing on the homepage. But why did you have two separate installations earlier?

2. Steve says:

Wow, I totally agree, it’s a beautiful theme. Congrats!

3. Milian says:

One thing I dont like is the dependence on JavaScript. Why make a website that uses JS?

4. Raven says:

Nice thumbnails! But it’s lame that you didn’t link to the theme.

Nevil:
      But why did you have two separate installations

One for each subdomain! πŸ˜‰

Milian:
      Why make a website that uses JS?

What’s wrong with JS? πŸ™‚ jQuery is quite popular and is used by most blogging software anyway.

Raven:
      But it’s lame that you didn’t link to the theme.

It called Google. Its a search engine. http://www.google.com is the link.