December - 27 - 2008

I made a small KDE 4.2 counter. The small icons in the counter indicate (left to right) a great interface, security (good ol’ *nix), ease of usage, customizability and support that KDE offers.

This one is just a static image. Click on the image to view the counter on my webserver.

You can download the counter from here. Please note that the counter would suit on pages with white background only. As I made it in a bit of a hurry, the oxygen tooltip was not given a transparent background.

Also, special thanks to Arne Kamola for helping out to make it better.

I’m pretty much excited about KDE 4.2, though beta 2 has been more than satisfactory 🙂

Changelog:
As I realized that one with a transparent background was needed (2 mails and a blog post asking for a dark background compatible one), I have changed the archives to work with any background color.

Enjoy!

31 Responses to “KDE 4.2 counter”

1. Josh Tailor says:

Looks very good. Suits good on my website.

2. Alan says:

Great work man! Love it 😀

3. Hilton says:

The file does not extract ?

If does well here. Try from CLI:
    tar -xzf /path/to/file/counter.htm.tar.gz

5. Punky says:

Can I make this smaller, for my sidebar on Blog? Thanks for this!

6. Richard says:

Absolutely fits with the KDE theme on my blog. But I would love to have it on as a widget like the one you have on your blog sidebar. Is that one available? And how do I set it up in wordpress?

Can I make this smaller, for my sidebar on Blog? Thanks for this!

For that purpose, I use this one on my blog’s sidebar. Just drop in more things on this if you like. As it was going with my blog, I made it plain 🙂

Sure! See the link above. Copy the whole text from the page source, add a “Text” widget in wordpress and put in the code.

8. anno says:

Countdown to failure, I’m afraid.
    Since when GNU/Linux users had a bug free life?
    What is called “final” in the FOSS world is called “beta” in Microsoft.

@anno
    I don’t really think that way. I enjoy using bleeding edge software. No software is perfect, and atleast the *nux software I use is much more stable in beta state than what some Windoze versions were before they released a service pack.
    Nobody will force you from using MS Software, and you are free to do so. I in the same way have my own liberty.

10. _ says:

10/10 BRAVO!!

11. whatshername says:

This deserves to be use in place of the existing counter. This a so lot better than that one!

12. Fischia says:

This looks very good indeed. Nice!

13. linuxboy says:

Perfect!! Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a ton!

Wow! I’m glad that you all like it 🙂

15. Punky says:

This realy suit only for white background… 🙂 My blog is KDEblue…and isn`t nice…but thanks anyway! 😉

Ok, I have updated the images to work with any background color.

17. Alan says:

Wow, thanks a lot. I have a yellowish background on my webpage and this looks very good on it (the white border one was slightly not fitting)

18. Phil says:

I think this is great. But isn’t this counter wrong? I dont think 31 days are left. It releases 27th Jan right?

19. JJKingsman says:

Thanks. Like it.

20. Siddharth says:

Why should I even use KDE? I tried KDE 4.0 with kubuntu 8.04 and it is very bad: crashes, so many bugs. KDE 3.5 was much better.

21. Klitz says:

Does not work with my blog. I could use a smaller one.

22. @dre@n says:

I don’t like oxygen tooltips. So I don’t really like this. Thanks anyway.

23. Joseph says:

Can it be made white?

24. Joseph says:

I mean of white background. The bar at the base.

25. Joseph says:

Why my comment disappear. Can I not post more than one comment?

26. Nicole says:

Agree with what everyone said 🙂
    Thanks

27. Rhea says:

I saw this today! Very good looking. Thank you sayakb

By Phil

I mentioned in the post that it is just a static image. You can find the counter here.

By Siddharth

That is misleading. KDE 4.0 was never intended to be a stable long time release. KDE 4.1 was the proud public release. You should try 4.2 then, as even it’s beta release is stable and has many bug fixes.

By Klitz
    Does not work with my blog. I could use a smaller one.

Did you try this one?

By Joseph
    Can it be made white?

Oxygen tooltips are black by default. I could also make a white one but I’m a bit busy nowadays. You can try the counter on kde.org

By Joseph
    Why my comment disappear. Can I not post more than one comment?

That is odd. Though I have comments moderated, you should still see all your comments come up. Do you have a dynamic IP?

By Joseph
    Why my comment disappear. Can I not post more than one comment?

I found why they disappeared. Each time you were providing a different email address 😉

30. meroonberet says:

check out my http://www.my-linux.tk and you will find the best way to install KDE 4.2 RC1. I’m not using kde-nightly!!!