November - 17 - 2008

I recently installed a copy of Kubuntu Intrepid on a friend’s PC at college.
Here’s the feedback he gave:

It’s really very nice, but there are a couple of things that bother me. In Windows, I could defragment my drives, clean up junk using Disk Cleanup, and fix registry errors. But in Kubuntu, as there isn’t heavy fragmentation, I don’t need to defragment, there is no registry to search for errors and there aren’t many unnecessary junk files to purge either. Honestly, Ubuntu doesn’t keep me busy.

And the classic:

Also, why don’t they give a “Refresh” option on the desktop’s right click menu? I always right click almost spontaneously to find there’s no refresh option.

I couldn’t help laughing like anything 😀
Honestly, I can’t believe that migrants from Windows are raising such silly points and labeling them as “issues”.

7 Responses to “"Ubuntu doesn’t keep me busy"”

1. Anonymous says:

My thinking exactly. Ubuntu really doesn’t give me much to do, a change that I also had to get used to, so I sympathize with him. I just do what I have to do, there’s nothing else to play around with, so I turn off. What I really should be doing if I want to stay at the computer is to help people on the forums more (I do sometimes). So I agree, Ubuntu doesn’t keep me busy.

2. Anonymous says:

actually sometimes you still need to refresh the desktop, i.e. if you copy a file onto the desktop over the network from another computer. in gnome you sometimes have to hit ‘f5’, as they omit refresh from the right-click menu.

3. nixternal says:

that is classic! I have ran across 1 person with very similar comments. Totally hilarious!

4. raptros-v76 says:

Just let your friend know how to tweak the layouts, colors, etc.; KDE is nothing if not customizable. That should quckly resolve the “ubuntu doesn’t keep [him] busy” “issue”. 🙂

@anonymous (2nd)
    I don’t really have that problem. I have copied from a smb share, via ftp to a remote server, and related.

@raptros-v76
    He came across gnome-look.org and kde-look.org and I gave him kde-nightly. That’d be enough to keep him busy 😀

6. Roshan George says:

Have you seen most users (in India at least) at a computer? As soon as they start, they do this:
    1. Right-click, refresh.
    2. Repeat until desktop icons refresh nearly instantly.
    3. Computer is ready to use.

It’s some sort of a ritual and is hilarious to watch.

Haha.. Agreed and so very true!!