Receive files via bluetooth to your laptop/desktop (Ubuntu Hardy)
On some computers, sending of files from a mobile device to the computer fails. The following method is an alternative way to receive files via bluetooth.
1. Switch on bluetooth on both: the laptop/desktop and the mobile device.
2. The bluetooth icon should appear in the notification area:
3. Right click on the bluetooth icon, and select Browse Device…
4. A list of available bluetooth devices in range should appear. Find your phone/mobile device in the list. If you can’t find it there, make sure you have public discovery enabled for your mobile device.
5. Click on your phone’s name in the list and click the Connect button. Sometimes, you might not see the name but a OBEX path value like 00:16:b8:b6:bd:ae. This should be your mobile device (This happens since Ubuntu cannot resolve the names of some devices for the first time you connect to it)
6. You may be prompted for entering the passkey. Enter a common passkey on both devices.
7. You may be then prompted by the mobile device whether to Accept bluetooth connections from your laptop or not. Select Yes to procees.
8. On selecting Yes, the phone would open up like a folder/location in your ubuntu machine. You may browse different folders and copy contents from the mobile device to the laptop. Though, in some cases, you may not be able to write to the phone (Use Sent to -> Mobile device in such cases)
Installing Counter Strike on Ubuntu
This post is about how to get Counter Strike 1.6 running on Ubuntu.
Goto System->Administration->Software Sources
Enable all software repositories under the Ubuntu Software and Third Party Software tabs.
Now, at a terminal, type in:
sudo apt-get install wine
Install the Wine gecko engine
At a terminal, type in:
wine iexplore http://www.google.com
You will be prompted to install the gecko engine. Proceed with the installation.
Install Counter Strike 1.6
Proceed with the installation of your Counter Strike 1.6 (CS/CZ).
Now goto Applications->Wine->Browse C:\ Drive. Open Program Files->Valve->cstrike.
Now locate the files: download.htm and motd_temp.htm
For each of them, right click, Properties->Permissions and uncheck write permissions for your username (ie. mark them as read only).
Finally, execute the game, buy an m4 and give some headshots!